It is the goal of nearly every blogger out there to improve his or her blog. Everyone wants more traffic, more readers, more customers, and to make more money. However, this goal is often easier said than done.
There are many, many places out there that offer advice on how to improve your blog. Some of these improvements require vast amounts of time or money to be invested. I do not know about you, but I have little time and money to invest in my blog beyond what I already do. So, what hope do I have of making my blog better?
Well, here are a few simple tips that will not break the bank or suck your time away. These tips should help your blog to have more traffic and be more accessible and attractive to readers. What more could you want, right?
Ways To Keep Your Blog One Step Ahead
1. Have great content – The first thing a blog should always have is great content. What that means is up to you. Your content needs to match your topic. If you want to write about technology, then do not have pictures of your dog and cute stories. If you want to blog about raising kids, then do not include your auto repair how-tos. You have to make the content fit your topic, and then make it something that people need or want to read.
2.Make it short –People like short things. Paragraphs should not run on forever and, whatever you do, do not have a huge single chunk of text! No one is going to want to read all of that. You will scare away readers before they ever get into the meat of your writing. Break your posts up into small, short paragraphs. Better yet, break your posts up into parts, with each part as short as possible. You can still give lots of information that way without overwhelming anyone. Best of all, you look like you have tons of content because you post so frequently!
3. Use lists –People love short, like I said, and they also love lists. There are two reasons for this. The first reason is because lists can easily be scanned. They can glance down a list and then read only what pertains to them or what grabs their attention. Secondly, lists let them know ahead of time how long the post is going to be. Maybe they have time to read a list of five, but not fifty. This way, they know how long the post is before they ever have to make the decision.
4. Have images –It is well documented that most people are visual learners. They just get more out of photos and images then they do written text. This means that when your blog does not have photos, you are not as interesting to a large portion of your possible audience. Do not lose readers because you cannot be bothered to add a picture or two! There are many sites out there that offer free photos for you to use, so do not worry about price. If you can find funny, cute, crazy, or cool photos that connect well with your blog post topic, you will get a ton more readers.
5. Tag well –Using keywords, tags, or categories, whatever your blog platform calls it, well is a cornerstone to people actually finding your blog to read it. The only way most people will get to your blog is through searching for a topic or question. Make sure your posts are accurately tagged and that the tags are ones that are common search terms. It will not help to do a ton of tags; that just confuses things. Keep it simple and accurate to get the most readers in who are interested in your content.
6. Make it outrageous –If you can make your post titles, keywords, and content crazy, you will get a lot of traffic. I know, it does not seem to make sense, but people love the unusual. If you can write about something that is really out there, or at least write a title that make people think twice, you will get a ton of readers to come to your post. People love weird and weird sells.
7. Go pop –If all else fails, you can always give into the man. People love stories about celebrities. If you can write posts with a celeb’s name in the title or about a celeb in a fresh, new way, then you will get a ton of hits. Sometimes this may seem frivolous and foolish, but your goal is to get readers in, right? You can always use this frivolity to your own purposes once you get them in the door.
8. Clean it up –An attractive blog will keep readers around longer. Make sure your theme is something that matches your blog’s topic. You do not want a bunch of flowers on a site devoted to motorcycles or vice versa. Your theme and your topic need to meld. You also need to make sure your theme is not too busy for your content. If your pictures or text is lost in the confusion, readers will not stick around, no matter how good your writing is. Simple is not always better, however. If it is too plain it can be boring for readers, Strike a balance and make sure your blog is visually appealing.